1 March 2014

Bit Of A Prologue

By Roger Colins

Greetings! Here's the very first look at the cover for my latest book and first half of my prologue from The Post Office. Please excuse the lack of activity on my blog in recent weeks as I have been overly busy removing commas from this latest work.

Thank you and enjoy!









Prologue

In the run up to the Arab Spring I was assistant attached by the British home office and loosely, MI6, to CIA operations in Iran. My job was the same as it had always been, to babysit. For the benefit of those who remember the reports at the time, the demonstrations, the rebels and revolutions, conflict and politics, most of the details surrounding the uprising have been left completely undisclosed, suppressed and forgotten in the hope they never see the light of day in a published manuscript again.

Enough time has passed that those that may cause me the most harm for writing this, are now dead. Even now I am still breaking the official secrets act and as such have had to suppress certain identities and particular dates to protect those still sensitive details and active operations. Under the circumstances I request that the reader grant me this liberty.

It would be an understatement to say I found my memory of events were more accurate than I'd expected. From the outset, I hadn't intended to take notes of the operation at all, indeed, it is drilled into operatives to never write anything down and as much as possible, keep one’s lips tightly shut. I started to take notes when I suspected something fishy was going on, deciding to do so in case I needed to protect myself and partly, just to try and figure out what happening at the time.

Drawing from my own notebooks, it took over a year to conduct and put together interviews from others, hearing their points of view and perspectives. Over the course of my research I'd collected three full file boxes of photos, recordings, documents, reports and clippings before I'd even put pen to paper. Any intelligence agency worth it’s salt would agree these boxes a veritable gold mine and yet, here I am, laying it out for all to see.

I always considered myself an untidy scribbler and though I have written many things in my time, never have I come across something that deserved a finished product more than this particular chain of events.

The most difficult obstacle was gaining permission for publication from the service, to disclose certain important points. I was advised I could 'Infer possibilities' but under no circumstances allowed to publish under my own name or reveal intelligence on active / ongoing operations. I did the best I could.

Those at the centre of these remarkable events deserve credit to which they are due. Despite a persistent and resolute dedication to the call of duty, one individual in particular is not likely to have his identity openly revealed while he himself is still alive. If nothing else, let this be a record so that some essence of a nameless man’s work may be remembered.

There are one or two details the reader should be aware of concerning modern espionage techniques and operative work. The west is simply too far advanced in certain areas to worry about the opposition any more. Having said that, espionage and intelligence services around the world are more active today than those operating during the halcyon cold war, largely due to the increase in Cyber espionage of recent years and ever spurring terrorism. Britain in particular is one trying to catch up. GCHQ relocated to 'The Doughnut' in Cheltenham in 2004 and now runs more than 50,000 employees, listening to everything, everywhere, whenever possible.

MI5, the domestic department of the Secret Intelligence Service have to comply to certain homeland rules where MI6, working abroad, essentially do not. Most of their tips, their information and afferent intelligence now comes directly from and thanks to GCHQ. These departments in turn make up part of JIC including an admiral, general, minister, Police Commissioner and Civil Servant who decide which department gets to deal with what and delegate.

Aside from protecting themselves and their friends against China and Russia, most of the work being conducted at this time is in preparation for what will be popularly known as the Arab Spring. MI6 and the CIA liaised some time ago and ever since, had been working more and more closely together on this one, particular project. It isn't unheard of for the Americans to pass on a little white lie here and there to their closest allies, nor was it impossible for them to entirely pervert the truth. We needn't look too far back to see the effects of intelligence sharing before the invasion of Iraq to get an idea of such scenarios.

Never the less, the two agencies enjoy a close relationship, even when tensions become strained at times thanks to each other's cock ups. 'The Service', is a generic term coined to incorporate the intelligence departments of the British government from civil servants to JIC; GCHQ, the armed forces but is generally understood to refer to MI5 and MI6. At times, there can be such a blur that unless you have an actual desk job at Thames House one can never really be sure for whom one is working. In most cases, it's a team effort by all, each department doing their part.




All rights reserved. Copyright Roger Colins © 2014

Roger

#ThePostOffice #RogerColins

1 comment: